Version History of VLC Player 0.9.8a
- Instantaneous pausing
- Frame-by-Frame playback
- Timeshift for all medias
- On-the-fly recording for all medias
- RTSP trickplay support
- AES3 (SMPTE 302M)
- Dolby Digital Plus - E-AC-3 (A/52b)
- True HD/MLP
- Blu-Ray Linear PCM
- QCELP (Qualcomm PureVoice)
- Real Video 3.0 & 4.0
- WMA v1/2 fixed point integer
- Close Caption under SCTE-20 standard
- Support for Dirac and RealVideo in Matroska files
- Major improvements in RealMedia files opening (.rm and .rmvb)
- Improvements of the TS demuxer for M2TS files
- Dirac encoding using libdirac (supported in Ogg and in TS)
- Shine mp3 fixed point encoder
- RTSP authentication with Darwin Streaming Server
- On-the-fly gzip and bzip2 file decompression (except on Windows)
- Playback for video in uncompressed multi-RAR archives
- DVB-S and ATSC cards support on Windows
- New OSS and Alsa accesses. The v4l2 and v4l modules no longer support OSS or Alsa audio input. Use --input-slave alsa:// or oss:// if needed.
- DVB scanning on linux
- EXPERIMENTAL Blu-Ray Disc Folder support
- On-the-fly zip file decompression and browsing (MRL of the form zip://file.zip|file.avi to specify the file)
- Mouse cursor support in x11 and win32 screen modules
- Screen module now features partial screen capture and mouse following on Windows.
- Export the playlist in HTML
- Lua script for BBC radio playback
- Recently played items list
- Interface customizations
- Global Hotkeys on Windows and Linux
Mac OS X Interface:
- Reveal-in-Finder functionality for locally stored items.
- Restored the old mpeg2 transrating module.
- Multiple bridge-in instances are now possible.
- bridge-in can be used to configure a placeholder stream.
- Remote Audio Output Protocol (AirTunes) module.
- New Maemo port with:
- an interface based on Hildon framework.
- scaler based on the swscale_nokia770 library.
Windows CE Port:
- EXPERIMENTAL work for the winCE port has been done.
- Removed obsolete Esound and aRts plugins
- Surround support for PulseAudio
- Effects (cube, torus, etc.) removed from OpenGL video output
- Video is able to stay in original size and to zoom in fullscreen (hotkey 'o') while keeping black borders
- Invmem, a fake codec to display images from external applications