Thread: Revert to an older version of iPhoto

Administrator

Default Revert to an older version of iPhoto

Old Version of iPhoto are available here: http://www.oldapps.com/iPhoto.php
    To go back to an older version of iPhoto, you must have a backed up Library from that version. An older version of iPhoto will not open newer versions libraries.
    If you have newly imported photos in your 5 library that are not in your backed up library you will need to share/export them now. Export the Original to the desktop. These can be imported once you are back in the older version of iPhoto.
    Navigate to /Applications and drag iPhoto to the trash
    Navigate to /Library/Receipts and drag all of the iPhoto receipts to the trash
    Navigate to ~/Library/Preferences and drag com.apple.iPhoto.plist to the trash

Navigate to ~/Pictures and drag your iPhoto 5 Library folder to the desktop. You can keep it on your hard drive in another folder, or you can rename it and keep it in the Pictures folder, or you can move it to an external for safe keeping or you can burn the entire iPhoto Library folder for safekeeping.

Launch Activity Monitor which is found in your Utilites folder. Do a search for iTunes Helper and then quit that process. (you might or might not have to do this)
    Insert your older iLife CD/DVD and choose to do a custom install.
    Install iPhoto
    Run Software Update and update iPhoto to the latest version. that means if you installed 4 there should be some updated version of 4

Put your backed up iPhoto Library in the Pictures folder. If it is named iPhoto Library then it should open when iPhoto is launched.
    If you renamed it, then launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and have it open the library you navigate to.

If you don't have a backed up version of the iPhoto Library of the version you want to install then you have a lot more steps to do.
    If done this way, all albums, keywords, folders will have to be redone because you are starting from scratch with a new library and importing these photos into the new library. There are two ways to import your photos.
    1) Download an application called iPhoto Extractor. Use it to extract the photos from your version 5 library.
    2) you can share/export all your photos from your iPhoto 5 library (within iPhoto 5) to a folder on the desktop (this lumps them all in one folder)
    or you can share/export each roll you have in iPhoto 5...this will keep all your imports done at the same time together
    If all your photos are in Albums, then share/export each album. If you have a photo in more than one album, you will get duplicates when you import the albums back into iPhoto 4 library. (These steps must be done before you install iPhoto 4)
    Whatever way you choose, make sure you have all the photos from your library copied.

Now follow the steps I outlined in the first three paragraphs to delete iPhoto 5 and reinstall iPhoto 4
    When you launch iPhoto it will have an empty library.
    Start importing your photos by dragging the folder/folders into the open iPhoto library window.
    If you drag a folder into the right column a roll will be made for that folder when it is imported.
    If you drag a folder to the left source column, a roll and an album for that roll will be made when the folder is imported.
    If you do this in a methodical way you will end up with pretty good organization.

Personally, the way I would do it.
    share/export each roll to a folder on the desktop (name the folder with the date of import)
    Do this for each roll in your library
    Import the oldest date first into the new library, and work up to the newest date.

Good luck and I hope this has been of help to you!

(Taken from here
    Revert to an older version of iPhoto)
    Last edited by admin; 09-02-2006 at 12:25 PM.

Default Re: Revert to an older version of iPhoto

Well, I've been trying to download the iphoto 2006 version but it's not listed. I need this version cause my work depends on it. The new version is a non distructive one and it's not interesting for me cause I need to modify my photos more than once. I'm a digital photo artist and I'm really desperated.
    Please, help me!
    Thanks,
    Paula.

Major Advisor

what operating system do you use?
    We help not because we need to but we help because we want to.........there's a big difference between "need" and "want"

Major Advisor

Question Re: Revert to an older version of iPhoto

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Carvalho View Post
    Well, I've been trying to download the iphoto 2006 version but it's not listed. I need this version cause my work depends on it. The new version is a non distructive one and it's not interesting for me cause I need to modify my photos more than once. I'm a digital photo artist and I'm really desperated.
    Please, help me!
    Thanks,
    Paula.
    Maybe this site will help.
    Download iPhoto Diet for Mac - Reduce iPhoto library sizes. MacUpdate Mac Image Editing Software Downloads
    We help not because we need to but we help because we want to.........there's a big difference between "need" and "want"

I couldn't understand what is this iphoto diet. I tried more info but it didn't open. As far as I could understand it seems interesting. I'll open the site again and if I have problems in undertanding I'll ask you, ok? Thanks for the hints!

Major Advisor

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Carvalho View Post
    I couldn't understand what is this iphoto diet. I tried more info but it didn't open. As far as I could understand it seems interesting. I'll open the site again and if I have problems in undertanding I'll ask you, ok? Thanks for the hints!
    try this link for iphoto diet info iPhoto Diet
    Last edited by slavezero; 04-21-2009 at 08:56 PM.
    What happens when an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object?

Major Advisor

What happens when an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object?

Major Advisor

By the way. The site i have posted days ago is oly for mac operating system users only. It will never run under windows.
    Kindly tell us your operating system so we can find the right programs for your computer.