Thread: Problem Downgrading iTunes

ctp

Default Problem Downgrading iTunes

Hello. I had a computer guy transfer some stuff from an old computer to my current computer and instead of transferring MY iTunes application, he downloaded the new version. So, I came here to downgrade. I uninstalled the new iTunes and installed the old iTunes (7.7.1) and now I'm getting error messages: "The file "iTunes Library .itl" cannot be read because it was created by a new version of iTunes." and "The program can't start because ASL.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." I tried reinstalling, I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling. Anyone know what to do? Thanks.

Default Re: Problem Downgrading iTunes

I would venture the guess that you cannot have two versions of iTunes running at once, especially if they're sharing component files.

My advice would be to delete both versions. Re-install the new version (should be easy enough to find, if you have a new system). I'm hoping for you that you still have access to and have iTunes installed on your old Mac. If so, go into Music, through Finder, click through the iTunes folder(s), put all your library files in a folder, burn them to disc or drag them to an ext. hard drive or upload to a cloud or dropbox, since your previous machine is pre-cloud. Dropbox.com creates a cloud like interface. Then you can drop the files directly into iTunes on your new Mac.

I hope that would work.

Let me know if that made any sense to you and how it worked (:

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by ctp View Post
    Hello. I had a computer guy transfer some stuff from an old computer to my current computer and instead of transferring MY iTunes application, he downloaded the new version. So, I came here to downgrade. I uninstalled the new iTunes and installed the old iTunes (7.7.1) and now I'm getting error messages: "The file "iTunes Library .itl" cannot be read because it was created by a new version of iTunes." and "The program can't start because ASL.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." I tried reinstalling, I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling. Anyone know what to do? Thanks.
    Hey man,

Good day!

If you are using a Mac, you can try to download first AppCleaner, I use this to uninstall Apple Applications this will remove all the files associated with the App, Just drag and drop the unwanted app(itunes) to AppCleaner. Then try re-installing the itunes that you want.

Best part is AppCleaner is free

Regards,
    A Fabian

Hi There,
    h
    Hope you can help - I am having the same problem as the person above. My dad had iTunes 7.1.1 but when his computer crashed, the fellow who fixed it downloaded the new version.

I uninstalled the new version and installed 7.1.1 from old apps but I got this message - "The file iTunes library .itl cannot be read because it was created by a new version of iTunes."

I uninstalled the program then tried downloading the next version (iTunes 7.2) but I got the same message.

The man who fixed dads computer saved his music to a folder in an eternal hard drive but didn't save his old version of iTunes.

Do you know what I can do to get the old iTunes to work?

Thank you,
    Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda S View Post
    Hi There,

Hope you can help - I am having the same problem as the person above. My dad had iTunes 7.1.1 but when his computer crashed, the fellow who fixed it downloaded the new version.

I uninstalled the new version and installed 7.1.1 from old apps but I got this message - "The file iTunes library .itl cannot be read because it was created by a new version of iTunes."

I uninstalled the program then tried downloading the next version (iTunes 7.2) but I got the same message.

The man who fixed dads computer saved his music to a folder in an eternal hard drive but didn't save his old version of iTunes.

Do you know what I can do to get the old iTunes to work?

Thank you,
    Amanda
    Hi Amanda,

Good day!

Found this article and I think this can also help you with your concern.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20805864#20805864

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    A Fabian