Old Version of Songbird 0.1
Legacy OS support
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- This release represents our first steps upon the path to a truly next generation media player. It is meant to give users a firm idea of the direction we are heading, but we would be the first to admit we are far from there with our 0.1 build.…
Songbird is a free and open source software audio player and web browser founded by Rob Lord and developed by Pioneers of the Inevitable (with members who previously developed for both Winamp and the Yahoo! Music Engine), with a stated mission "to incubate Songbird, the first Web player, to catalyze and champion a diverse, open Media Web." Songbird utilizes the cross-platform frameworks, Mozilla's XULRunner and GStreamer media framework, and is thus capable of running on Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac OS X, Solaris and Linux.
- Cross-platform compatibility with Windows XP, Vista, Mac OS X v10.5 (x86, x86-64) and Linux (x86, x86-64).
- Ability to play multiple audio formats, such as MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, Apple Lossless and WMA
- Ability to play Apple FairPlay-encoded audio on Windows and Mac platforms via hooks into QuickTime (authorization takes place in iTunes)
- Ability to play Windows Media DRM audio on Windows platforms
- A skinnable interface, via feathers
- Media files stored on pages viewed in the browser show up as playable files in Songbird
- MP3 file download
- Ability to subscribe to MP3 blogs as playlists
- User-created bookmarks
- Ability to build custom mixes
- Ability to scan the user's computer for all audio files and add them to a local library
- A configurable and collapsible graphical user interface similar to iTunes, and mini-player mode
- Keyboard shortcuts and media keyboard support
- Automatic updates
- Last.fm integration via a plugin, complete with love/hate buttons
- Insound.com and HypeMachine integration
- Microsoft MTP compatible device support
- Ability to edit and save metadata tags
- Gapless Playback & Replay Gain
- Watch Folders
- Media Importing / Exportings (from and to iTunes)
- Automatic Library Files Organization
- Last.fm Radio
Updates : Songbird Updates
Did You Know?
Skins are referred to as "feathers" in Songbird, and give users and artists the ability to change the look of Songbird via an extension which generates a default skin.