Wang Laboratories

Wang Laboratories
Founding Date Mar 1951 (70 years ago)
Number of Employees 33000

Wang Laboratories was a computer company founded in 1951 by Dr. An Wang and Dr. G. Y. Chu. The company was successively headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts (1954–1963), Tewksbury, Massachusetts (1963–1976), and finally in Lowell, Massachusetts (1976–1997). At its peak in the 1980s, Wang Laboratories had annual revenues of $3 billion and employed over 33,000 people. It was one of the leading companies during the time of the Massachusetts Miracle.

The company was always directed by Dr. Wang, who was described as an "indispensable leader" and played a personal role in setting business and product strategy. Under his direction, the company went through several distinct transitions between different product lines.

Wang Laboratories filed for bankruptcy protection in August 1992. After emerging from bankruptcy, the company eventually changed its name to Wang Global. In 1999, Wang Global was acquired by Getronics of The Netherlands.